- Improvement in demand within the first quarter, led by the Americas and Greater China.
- Group RevPAR down 50.6% vs 2019 (down 33.7% vs 2020); continued industry outperformance in key markets.
- RevPAR reflects a 23%pts reduction in occupancy, with rate sustained at ~80% of 2019 levels.
- Occupancy of 40.0%, improving through the quarter; 223 hotels (4% of estate) closed at 31 March.
- Net system size growth broadly flat YTD; global estate 884k rooms (5,959 hotels).
- Opened 7.3k rooms (56 hotels); 5.8k added to Essentials and Suites brands, 1.5k in Premium, Luxury & Lifestyle.
- Removed 9.5k rooms (61 hotels); 6.3k (31 hotels) for Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza in Americas and EMEAA.
- Signed 14.5k rooms (92 hotels), ahead of Q1 last year; total pipeline increased to 274k rooms (1,820 hotels).
- Repaid £600m UK Government CCFF at maturity; total available liquidity at 31 March of $2.1bn.
Keith Barr, Chief Executive Officer, IHG Hotels & Resorts, said: “Trading continued to improve during the first quarter of 2021, with IHG maintaining its outperformance of the industry in key markets and seeing strong performance in openings and signings as we expand our brands around the world. There was a notable pick-up in demand in March, particularly in the US and China, which continued into April. While the risk of volatility remains for the balance of the year, there is clear evidence from forward bookings data of further improvement as we look to the months ahead.”
“The improved Group RevPAR performance was led by the Americas, which strengthened to -43% versus 2019 levels compared to -50% in Q3 and Q4 2020. In EMEAA, the continuation of lockdowns across much of the region meant RevPAR levels were largely unchanged from the prior two quarters. In Greater China, after temporary domestic travel restrictions were lifted, demand recovered quickly in March towards levels seen in the second half of 2020.”
“We opened a further 56 hotels during the quarter, and these new openings broadly offset hotels removed as part of our continued focus on maintaining the highest quality estate for our guests. Linked to this, we are making good progress on our review of the Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza estates. Our pipeline grew with 92 signings in the quarter, driven by our industry-leading midscale brands and continued strong owner appetite for conversion opportunities, particularly in our Premium and Luxury & Lifestyle categories. This includes conversions to our voco brand, which has achieved over 50 signings in more than 20 countries in fewer than three years since launch.”
“As the rollout of vaccines becomes more established, travel restrictions lift, and economic activity rebuilds, traveller demand will continue to grow and generate further momentum in an industry recovery over the course of the year. Coupled with our resilience as a business and the important work we’re doing to support our owners, develop our brands and expand our pipeline, we’re confident that IHG is well positioned for sustained growth”
Click here to view the full release.
About IHG Hotels & Resorts
IHG Hotels & Resorts is a global organisation with a broad portfolio of hotel brands, including Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas, Regent Hotels & Resorts, InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton® Hotels & Restaurants, Hotel Indigo®, EVEN Hotels ®, HUALUXE® Hotels and Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts, voco™, Holiday Inn® Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn Express®, Holiday Inn Club Vacations®, avid™ hotels, Staybridge Suites®, Atwell Suites™ and Candlewood Suites®.
IHG franchises, leases, manages or owns nearly 5,800 hotels and approximately 865,000 guest rooms in more than 100 countries, with over 1,900 hotels in its development pipeline. IHG also manages IHG® Rewards Club, our global loyalty programme, which has more than 100 million enrolled members.
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC is the Group’s holding company and is incorporated in Great Britain and registered in England and Wales. More than 400,000 people work across IHG’s hotels and corporate offices globally.
Visit www.ihg.com for hotel information and reservations and www.ihgrewardsclub.com for more on IHG Rewards Club. For our latest news, visit: www.ihgplc.com/media and follow us on social media at: www.twitter.com/ihgcorporate, www.facebook.com/ihgcorporate and www.linkedin.com/company/intercontinental-hotels-group.