Wyndham Hotels & Resorts (NYSE: WH) today announced results for the three months ended June 30, 2021. Highlights include:
- Second quarter diluted earnings per share was $0.73 compared to diluted loss per share of $1.86 in second quarter 2020; second quarter adjusted diluted EPS was $0.95 compared to adjusted diluted EPS of $0.10 in second quarter 2020.
- Second quarter net income was $68 million compared to a net loss of $174 million in second quarter 2020; second quarter adjusted net income was $89 million compared to adjusted net income of $9 million in second quarter 2020.
- Second quarter adjusted EBITDA was $168 million compared to adjusted EBITDA of $66 million in second quarter 2020.
- Second quarter net cash provided by operating activities was $116 million and free cash flow was $104 million compared to net cash used in operating activities of $57 million and free cash flow of $(68) million in second quarter 2020.
- Global RevPAR increased 110% compared to second quarter 2020 and declined 17% compared to second quarter 2019 in constant currency.
- Paid quarterly cash dividend of $0.16 per share in second quarter and Board of Directors recently authorized a 50% increase in the quarterly cash dividend to $0.24 per share beginning with the dividend expected to be declared in third quarter 2021.
- Company provides full-year 2021 outlook.
“With continued increasing demand from our leisure and everyday business travelers, our select-service franchise business model generated another strong quarter of adjusted EBITDA and cash flow, allowing us to increase our dividend by 50%,” said Geoffrey A. Ballotti, president and chief executive officer. “Our brands continue to capture market share gains above pre-pandemic levels, while our economy brands here in the U.S. actually exceeded 2019 RevPAR for the quarter. We opened over 70% more rooms than we did last year while growing our development pipeline by 6% vs. prior year, and by 2% sequentially – to over 190,000 rooms. We are extremely proud of all that our team members around the world have achieved, as they remain focused on delivering exceptional value for our owners, guests and shareholders.”
Fee-related and other revenues increased 67% to $321 million, compared to $192 million in the second quarter of 2020 primarily reflecting the ongoing recovery in travel demand and its impact on global RevPAR, which has now recovered to 83% of 2019 levels, including domestic RevPAR at 95% of 2019 levels.
The Company generated net income of $68 million, or $0.73 per diluted share, compared to a net loss of $174 million, or $1.86 loss per diluted share, in the second quarter of 2020. The increase of $242 million, or $2.59 per diluted share, reflects: the ongoing recovery in travel demand; a $10 million, or $0.11 per diluted share, after-tax benefit from the marketing fund related to timing; and the absence of $176 million, or $1.89 per diluted share, after-tax of special-item charges incurred during second quarter 2020. These results were partially offset by a $14 million, or $0.15 per diluted share, after-tax impact in 2021 related to the early extinguishment of the Company’s 5.375% senior unsecured notes.
The following discussion of second quarter operating results focuses on the Company’s key drivers as well as revenue and adjusted EBITDA for each of the Company’s segments. Full reconciliations of GAAP results to the Company’s non-GAAP adjusted measures for all reported periods appear in the tables to this press release.
Click here to view the full release.
About Wyndham Hotels & Resorts
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts (NYSE: WH) is the world’s largest hotel franchising company by the number of properties, with over 8,900 hotels across nearly 95 countries on six continents. Through its network of approximately 796,000 rooms appealing to the everyday traveler, Wyndham commands a leading presence in the economy and midscale segments of the lodging industry. The Company operates a portfolio of 21 hotel brands, including Super 8®, Days Inn®, Ramada®, Microtel®, La Quinta®, Baymont®, Wingate®, AmericInn®, Hawthorn Suites®, Trademark Collection® and Wyndham®. Wyndham Hotels & Resorts is also a leading provider of hotel management services. The Company’s award-winning Wyndham Rewards loyalty program offers 87 million enrolled members the opportunity to redeem points at thousands of hotels, vacation club resorts and vacation rentals globally. For more information, visit www.wyndhamhotels.com.